Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The PORT (or as they call it, the Passport)

The PORT or, The Passport, is a half-dollar/quarter-size metal thing embedded in the inside of my right arm. It requires I carry a card to get through airport security. It's not just a 25-minute out-patient surgery. It took a couple hours plus. It is in my upper right arm, on the inside. Most women have it in their chest. Fortunately, my oncologist suggested the upper arm. If this black and blue, bloody mess was in my chest, I would have panicked. The PORT will allow the Chemo staff to stick the needle into the PORT instead of a vein. Apparently, Chemo going into the veins can cause them to collapse. The Port is connected to a hose that runs (inside the body) from my arm up into my chest. The chemo will flow through it and dump out into the chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment