Monday, September 20, 2010

Chemo Treatment #5

Just got the Benedryl and am starting to feel woozy.
The steroids and anti-nausia are next.  Then, the Taxotere and I'll stick my fingers in the frozen peas.
The peas are in a small cooler with ice.  Kind of like we're medics carrying some torn off body part or something. 

I asked the nurse to advise me when she starts with Taxotere and told her why.  She said she had one patient with real long pretty hair that insisted in wearing a frozen cap on her head during the whole treatment so she could keep her hair.  She would have to keep packing it with ice.  It worked but she had headaches. 

I don't look like this lady in the photo.  Of course, I don't have a great head of hair.  I'm wearing my chemo dress.  Bought it at JJill specifically for chemo day.

It's a very long, orange, sleeveless tank top that's really a long dress.  My head gear is a jungle flowery, very colorful, thing that just slips on my head and it has long tails in the back that I make a big bow out of.  Hoop earrings, a bracelet from JoAnna Chu, who sits next to me at work and some sox.  I also have a big straw hat from Nordi's for the outside.  I am very "uptown" at the chemo place.  I wear the same thing every treatment day.  It's my chemo outfit. 

They say my potassium is a tad low so they're waiting on the Taxotere till they get the okay.  I have to eat more baked potatos and avacados.  Heck, that's easy.  Even Vons has great baked potato soup.  They didn't say I'd have to eat more Haagen Daz vanilla chocolate chip ice cream - they must have forgotten.  Good think I remembered.  They did say more milk.  That's how I take my milk.

For some reason, I have a sweet tooth during this chemo "journey."  Before, I just didn't even think about it.  I was always a salt freak.  Quite the opposite now.  I went to Whole Foods yesterday and bought two pints of Mint Choc Chip Gelato, and one pint of Haagen Daz vanilla chocolate chip ice cream.  Haazen Daz has way more chips, big ones.  But, this particular Gelato has tunnels of chips that you just have to keep digging and digging and pretty soon, it's all gone.  Oh, then it's also time to fix something for dinner. 

Time for the Taxotere - bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment