Friday, July 30, 2010

Back to the NV Cancer Institute - Chemo Backfired!

Sunburns, who would have guessed. Both hands started burning on the sides. It started itching and burning but I didn't scratch because who knows what could come from that. The heel of my left foot swelled up and burned like heck. Luckily, I had two ice packs and used them for a couple days. Then, my left cheek started getting sunburned. Then, the right hand started blistering. Even my expensive Clinique yellow moisturizer didn't work.
So, back to the clinic. This time, the oncologist wanted to see me vs. all the other assistants he usually has me see. Turns out, I was getting much too much of the Taxotere chemo. There's Taxotere and Cytoxin. They're separate drips. They measure by 1.00 - 2.00, and he's been giving me 1.70 so he's dropping it to 1.00 and said it won't interfere with the effectiveness but it'll stop the burning and itching.
Don't know if I blogged about the stuff creeping up my shins or not. Had to go back to the clinic Tuesday for that. Simple shot glass or two of Benedryl childrens elixir at night has that clearing up. It was an allergy to the Taxotere.
I feel much better today. And, of course, they always toss in another drug to take at night. Supposed to stop the feeling of tingling in the hands and arms.
I guess this is how it goes. We just tweek and tweek and tweek. But, the good news is the next treatment will be the third of six. Most of the symptom stuff wil be worked out.
I really had a much better clip to put at the top but it wouldn't transfer from my file.

No comments:

Post a Comment