Saturday, July 24, 2010

I FINALLY WENT TO A SUPPORT GROUP......

Big wow.
I went Monday night.
Just forgot to blog about it. The excitement must have caused a power outage in my brain.
There were probably 10-12 women there. Only 3 of us who belonged. The rest were post-chemo by 4-5-7 years. I'm trying to get into my head why, after surviving chemo, would you stick around. Possibly it's due to the pills you have to take for up to 5 years to drain the estrogen and get a totally clean bill of health. That's all I can think of. There must be better things to do every first and third Monday night.
There were all different stories. Lots of advise. Only some dry cookies to eat. Some really bad stories.
Bad stores about bad doctors, bad husbands, and one lady has just about given up because she got such a bad mis-diagnosis, and actually two women who were led down the wrong path by their doctors who told them them were clean, "Hey, ya still got your tits!", and it turned out after coming to Nevada Cancer Institute and being examined, they indeed have breast cancer.
All along this way, I've been told by people from out of nowhere to grill my doctors. I pretty much have and did run into an arrogant prick. I went the opposite direction.
I'll go back one more time to this group because it's only a couple minutes from home. BUTTTT, I'm so not into the "sisterhood" bullshit that they try to get us into. I don't really care to swap spit with a support group. IF you've ever watched "FRINGE", the TV show, I just care to enter that world through the currently available portal, listen and learn, eat the dry cookies, then find the portal out and leave.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, don't bother with the cookies; carry your own! I'm guessing the doctor/clinic suggested the monday night group. If you're not getting anything out of it then don't bother. My mom hated the entire group thing and stopped going. My sister, on the other hand, loved every support group she could get in to, online and in person. Listen to your 'gut'. As long as Fred is supportive and you have people around you to go to when you need it then a support group might not be the right choice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Heather, support groups are for those who don't have supportive people around them, or for people who don't relate to what you are experiencing. We're your support group! I went to a support group in my "previous life" for dealing with my alcoholic x-husband (Alanon). It taught me a lot and I have been able to share some of the things I learned with others, so it was a good experience for me, but not every Alanon group was right for me. I had to do some shopping.

    ReplyDelete